Sunday 14 June 2009

Blackboys.............

I just love these blackboys now called grass trees...........they are just so different to everything else.........the pics are not the best because I only had my mobile phone but I wanted to share anyway.........

this one got burnt about 3-4 years ago.........

this one is the biggest I have ever seen...........to the top of the leaves it is about 10ft high..........and amazing this one is metres from burnt trees.........I wonder how old this one is???

a gap in some rocks.......

this tree is growing out of the rock..........

a spectacular clump of blackboys..........

burnt out after the fires but one regrew and the other burst open.........

this looked so weird............

a bit blurry but after the fires there was new life...........

.........take care til next time.............
.......Chookyblue..........
PS the Farmyard wants to know what the "rules" are for selling craft.........you will find her post here........please help her because I am interested in the answers too.......

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

The black boys are beautiful! They regenerate so well too! Glad you had a great time discovering them!

Willow Grove - Kez said...

They look amazing. Looks like you had a great day.

Joolz said...

Hello ChookyBlue

The black boys are probably indigenous to Aus. Great pics.

Cheers - Joolz

Unknown said...

Isn't nature clever . Lucky you had your phone with you , thanks .

Lynn said...

Fascinating - I've never seen anything like that.

Lurline said...

Seventeen years in the Northern Territory and now over four years in WA - yes, I love the Blackboys - great pics!
Hugs - Lurline♥

jodie said...

nature is a wonderful thing

Jenny said...

Great phone pictures-they sure are amazing and quite fascinating

Anonymous said...

Grass trees need burning on quite regular basis to survive and look beautiful, isn"t nature amazing.

Jeni said...

I have always loved blackboys...... there is just something about walking through the bush..... and discovering Native trees..... and the smell of the bush...I love it.............
I also stand still when I hear the sound of a didgeridoo ...thanks for sharing

Lea said...

That's spectacular sight! Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures

Jeanne said...

I learn so much from reading blogs! Thank you for sharing the photos of the black boys. I had never heard of or seen anything like it.

Lily Mulholland said...

I love grass trees too. There are some spectacular ones here in Canberra!

Shirley--Knot-y Embroidery Lady said...

Wow, I have not seen anything like the trees here in North America. Thank you. Even with a cell phone you take good pictures. thank you!

Helz said...

Thanks for sharing Chookyblue... Luv the Native Grass Trees... we have quite a few about here also... Fire & Regeneration ... Nature @ her Best.

http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s1796403.htm

Anonymous said...

I'm so homesick looking at these photos of the aussie bush

Candace said...

What fascinating plants and your pictures are beautiful, I can't believe you took them with your cell phone. I tried to take a picture of a cardinal on mine yesterday, but by the time I got it out, it flew away. It was a beauty though. ( I guess it's the one that got away, just like the fishermen )

MissyMack said...

Fantastic photos! I love black boys. They are such remarkable plants.

Unknown said...

Wow amazing pictures, was there a bush fire?