Thursday 26 November 2009

Nerves of steel.................

Well not quite nerves of steel but certainly testing.......doesn't matter where you go from my house you have to go quite a distance before you hit sealed roads.............my usual road is usually not to bad when it is wet............most paddocks have been top dressed with good dirt to make them better when it is wet............
Sometimes I go out another road (20kms dirt) and there is nothing worse then when you nearly get home and find there has been rain and the dirt road is wet............I tell you it involves LOTS of OH SHIT.........deep breaths to settle the nerves.............driving on this particular road is usually avoided when wet because the dirt is bad and it is like driving on ice (I am assuming no chance of ice here) the car goes where it wants
to...........unfortunately it started to rain heaps more while coming thru...........thankfully you usually never see another car on this road because if I had to pass one I would probably hit it.......it is bad enough the mobs of sheep and cattle I have to hope run off the road in time.............I have a pile of ramps to crawl over negotiate too and everyone I make it over I nearly do a happy dance...........only ended up in the gutter once and managed to get out............home safe and sound but not enough rain for anything yet just a wet road.............


SSCS have a pile of emails to go thru so when I grab something to eat I will try and get thru them all and update the sidebar................Thanks everyone............

Take Care til next time..............
Chookyblue
PS I have great mail to report on too...............my rainbow swap has arrived and also the nine patch swap is back from being swap with Christine...........

10 comments:

Janice said...

I can only imagine what it must be like, having travelled some wild and woolly tracks in western NSW as a pillion on a motorcycle - and that was in the dry. Take care.

Cardygirl said...

Glad you got home safely...good to see your faith has been restored in blogland!

karenshopes said...

phew..thankgoodness I was on the edge of my seat.
Karen

loulee said...

So shall I send more rain your way?

Glad you got home safely.

Chocolate Cat said...

Glad its you and not me!! I get nervous when I need to drive on any dirt or gravel so this would render me into a blubbering idiot!

Willow Grove - Kez said...

I can relate to that sort of driving. Our road are better now but five years ago no so good. Glad you got home OK. Hope you have plenty of supplies so you don't have to go out again soon

Beeeme! said...

Oh yeah...the red dust of western Qld, after the first rain...I remember praying a lot!

limpingalong said...

You made me remember when my grandparents lived at the end of some dirt roads -- when it had been raining cars would often get stuck. Getting stuck meant walking to a nearby farm to get a farmer to bring a tractor to pull you out!

Lily Mulholland said...

Funny, my FIL was just explaining to me about grey dirt that makes you slip over if you so much as spit on it! Looks like that's what you've got up your way Donna. Drive carefully!

Anita said...

Glad you got some rain, but yes it does make for slippery driving. At least you didn't get bogged!