Tuesday 1 March 2016

Wasp nest.....

So close the other day.... I had been mowing out the back..... Right into a melaleuca tree..... 
The next day I found this nest...... A quick look from a distance I thought it was a bees nest for the size of it....  
Maybe I needed advice from Tracy at Sunny Corner Farm as she keeps bees....
Late in the day I remembered the nest....  Went out with my camera to take some zoom pics....  
Omg it was not bees it was a paper wasp nest...... We do not get on..... I get huge welts from them...got burning itchy huge welts..... it had to go...... Since they were pretty settled on the nest being almost dark Mr Chooky and I got them with the fly spray..... 
Anyway here are some pics of the nest....  Gee there were some wasps on it..... The hugest nest I have seen ever......
Amazing.....the whole nest is attached with one fine spot... In one of the photos you can see on the back a black spot in the centre..... The finest little stem attaches it to the branch.....
The next morning heaps of larve started popping out...  the nest had to be destroyed completely then as I don't need any more wasps..... 
Catch you later....
Chookyblue.....

17 comments:

Gail said...

Wow that's a big one! Do be careful around stinging things, my son (who is allergic and carries an epi pen ) says the docs told him that stings get worse each time. Anaphylactic shock is nothing to mess with!

sunny said...

Ew! I'm afraid of any stinging insect. Glad you didn't get hurt or attacked!

CountryMum said...

Yikes! Not fond of these at all.

Susan said...

Too many at our place too.....horrible creatures.

Ondrea said...

Wo! That was a close call.

Anonymous said...

Oh it looks dangerous xx

gracie said...

What amazing pictures. So glad you were not harmed by any of them.

Anthea said...

Glad you didn't get stung Chooky... great ingenuity of them to make the nest hang on like that!

Linda said...

I dislike wasps too...I've only ever been strung three times but ALWAYS on the eyelid...what's with that anyway.....

Maria said...

Fabulous photos of the nest but I am glad you got rid of the wasps and larvae....

kiwikid said...

Great photos Chooky, from my perspective it looks empty...good to hear you got rid of it.

Bev C said...

Hello Donna,

I have learnt to live with them because they do much the same job as bees with pollination of vegies etc. They do have a mighty sting though.

Happy days.
Bev.

Annie said...

Amazing photos...I've been stung by paper wasps before at mum's place...not good. Glad you got them

pandchintz said...

Euggh!! Amazing pics though.

Fiona said...

oh those are nasty... I got stung once and although not such a bad reaction it was sore and itchy for days!
Hugz

loulee said...

EW! No thank you. Not a fan of wasps here either.

Janice said...

Yuck. Glad you got rid of them.